Lamb is a healthier alternative to the classic beef burger, but that’s not the only reason we love it… the flavour of this perfect summertime cookout burger is unbelievably good, and of you don’t have the ability to slow roast your lamb over an open fire Cretan-style, these easy, fresh home made patties are the next best thing. Try this one on the BBQ!
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 handful fresh mint, basil, or rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp aniseed
- zest of 1 lemon
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp black pepper
- breadcrumbs as needed
- Combine lamb, spices, mint, garlic, and lemon zest in a bowl. Add egg and mix with hands thoroughly. If mixture is too wet for well-formed patties to hold their shape, add 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs and mix thoroughly until you have a consistency like cookie dough.
- Form into patties (yield for this recipe depends on how big you want your burgers) and chill for a few hours.
- Grill, Fry, or BBQ with a little olive oil until cooked as desired. Serve on a garlic-brushed bun with feta, fresh herbs, red onion, or tomato. If you love your condiments and want to sauce it up, skip the ketchup and go for tzatziki or hummus! Yasas!