It’s big. It’s Green. It can be made with either a veggie patty mix or ground beef. Only attempt to eat this burger if you crave flavour, love summer food, and don’t mind taking the plunge into a new version of the classic burger.
We suppose you could modify the measurements in this recipe to make a much more reasonably sized and less luxurious meal, but why? Go big or go home. The Big Green Burger is not messing around.
THE BIG GREEN BURGER
- 1 lb ground meat – we like sirloin, but we’re fancy like that. You could also use a veggie patty!
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper & 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
- 1 egg
- 2 green jalapeños, finely chopped
- 3/4 C panko/breadcrumbs
- a few dashes of worcestershire sauce
- For dressing your Green Burger: Baby greens, sliced pickle, and your favourite guacamole (or just blend/mush up 1 avocado with 1/2 white onion finely chopped, and juice of 1 lime – salt & pepper to taste)
- We like a whole wheat bun, but if you want to take this to a new level, try a spinach or green onion bun.
- Combine meat, spices, herbs, onion, jalapeños, garlic, worcestershire sauce, and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Add egg and mix with hands thoroughly. If mixture is too wet for well-formed patties to hold their shape, add 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs and mix thoroughly until you have a consistency like cookie dough.
- Form into patties (yield for this recipe depends on how big you want your burgers) and chill for a few hours.
- Grill or fry with a little olive oil until cooked as desired. Serve on your chosen bun with the above recommended ingredients, or try your own green favourites on your hulk of a hamburger.