An ideal salad for a busy family or an easy take for a pot luck dinner. Serve it at your next barbecue. Backyard Bean Salad can be made days in advance … it even tastes better that way!
BASIC BRINE DRESSING
- ⅔ cup Olive oil or vegetable oil
- ⅔ cup Apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
TWO BEAN SALAD
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 Bell pepper diced
- 1 Can (approx. 540ml) beans (kidney, black or garbanzo) drained, rinsed
- 1 cup chopped Green beans (fresh & blanched [See notes] or frozen)
- Basic Brine Dressing (above)
- Combine beans and vegetables with brine dressing. SALAD MUST BE FULLY COVERED BY THE BRINE DRESSING.
- Toss gently.
- Marinate for at least six hours.
- Store in refrigerator.
- Allow salad to return to room temperature before serving.
FOUR BEAN SALAD (a family favourite)
Double the brine dressing recipe and double the “Two Bean Salad” recipe using 1 can each of the kidney, black and garbanzo beans plus green beans.
- If using fresh green beans, they MUST be blanched. Blanch precut beans in boiling water for 1½ minutes and whole beans for 2 minutes then plunge into chilling ice water for twice the length of blanching time.
- If ingredients are kept submerged in brine dressing this salad should keep in fridge for ten days (usually eaten before then!).
- Some cooks prefer to remove skins of garbanzo beans for a smoother texture.